Thursday, April 16, 2009

I'd like to recommend to you...

...Neil Gaiman, an author of science fiction and fantasy short stories and novels, graphic novels, comics, and films, whom I have re-descovered recently. I learned about his work from my boyfriend who gave me Coraline and said: 'you really need to read it'. It was a perfect book for my oral Polish Matura exam, because I was preparing my presentation about cats in literature and there was one very sarcastic black cat in this book. I can tell you one thing: I thought it is a book for children, but seriously, I was 18 years old and I was afraid to go to sleep and close my eyes after reading this book. Buttons will never be the same... :)

Now I'm reading Coraline again to check the differences between the book and the movie, which by the way is extraordinary, and although I almost 22, I try to avoid reading this book late at night or I at least try do something else before going to sleep.

As soon as I have some more free time I will steal some Gaiman's books from Tomek's room and read them secretly late at night :P which will probably deprive me of sleep for some time.

What is so special about Neil Gaiman's works? We talked about him and his books (surely Tomek has a lot more to say on these topics) and we concluded that when you read his books or stories you believe that all these things may have happened in reality. I mean, it's written in such a way that you believe him, that you think it may even happen to you. M is for Magic :)

Here are some titles of books written by Gaiman: Coraline (Koralina), Neverwhere (Nigdziebądź), American Gods (Amerykańscy Bogowie), Stardust (Gwiezdny Pył - there is also quite a recent movie based on this book), Anansi Boys (Chłopaki Anansiego), The Graveyard Book (Księga Cmentarna), M is for Magic (M jak Magia), Fragile Things (Rzeczy Ulotne) and many more.

And here are movie trailers of Coraline (if you have a chance to see this movie in 3D, then do see it, because it's unbelievable):

Coraline Web Trailer HD

...and:

3 comments:

hannah.bundle said...

Hi,
That's really great that you've written about Neil Gaiman. I've read "Coraline", "American Gods" and "Neverwhere". All of them are great, but I think that "American Gods" is a masterpiece.
I read also "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett but it was quite diificult to follow in English. But it was a long time ago, maybe at this point it would be more decipherable for me. ;)
Take care :)

Asia said...

Hi Asia:)Your description of Gaiman's works, especially "Coraline" intrigued me. Even though I don't like science fiction books, you made me think that maybe some of them are worth reading...:)

Cherry said...

actually it's not science fiction, but fantasy :)